With all the doom and gloom that we are surrounded by right now, many are getting the feeling that the world is coming to an end. So… is the world coming to an end??? Simple answer… NO!
I do not want to minimize what is going on right now. There are some very serious issues we are facing. I would be silly to say or imply otherwise. But we WILL get through this. In the meantime, it is important to direct your focus on what’s good. I remember learning a long time ago that it is not what happens to you that matters most, it is how you respond to what happens. Since learning that, I have worked very hard to be conscious of how I respond to the things (good things and bad) in my life. I’ve written many times about this because it is so important.
If I asked you to list everything bad about our current situation, you could probably fill a whole page. If I asked you what is good about this situation, you would likely reflexively respond with an emphatic… nothing! If I pushed a little bit, aren’t there good things we could list?
Here are a few things I listed when thinking about what’s good right now…
- People get to spend time at home with their families. I’ve had many patients express how much they are enjoying their family time.
- Children are among the least likely to have complications with this virus. This would be a much tougher situation if children were the most affected.
- For more than 99% of the population, this virus will be mild to moderate, and NOT life threatening. I know the fatality rates vary, depending on where you look, but I believe it will be less than 0.5%. Any deaths are not good, but what is good is that those numbers are not higher.
- I get an opportunity to show my children how to react to adversity. Remember, your children do what you DO, not what you say. This is a perfect opportunity to display courage, faith, and to maintain a healthy, calm disposition.
- Action plans and procedures are being put into place within our government, universities and schools, businesses, and communities to ensure that once we get through this, we are much better prepared for similar events in the future. Unfortunately, it is often tough events like this that open our eyes to needs we were unaware of. (The events of 9/11 did this for us.)
- The human body is very strong and resilient, and equipped with an immune system that works to protect us from these kinds of invaders. This is VERY good! Your body is fighting off and killing microorganisms every day, while you have no idea that this is going on.
- While there is uncertainty for many in regards to their jobs and income, for some, this will be a time of much needed change, that ultimately will lead to a more fulfilling choice of work.
And a recurring thought I keep having is that one year from now, we will be back on track and moving forward. This will be behind us. It’s good to be in a country where we can pull together when needed, help one another, remember what is most important, and have opportunities that only Americans can have. You can focus on what is bad right now… or what is good. That choice is yours. I’m choosing to remind myself of what is good right now.
Watch my short video on coronavirus that I sent to my subscribers by going to drbizjak.com and clicking on Friday’s Findings. Subscribe to get my weekly wellness insights.